Saturday, November 10, 2012

8,400 ... feet that is

Our family went on a church retreat this weekend to Estes Park, a beautiful area here in Colorado. Most of our weekend was filled with meetings and community activities, but the hubs and I were able to steal away one late afternoon and get a run in together. Wow, running at altitude is no joke. I have just acclimated myself to Denver's elevation, just over 5,000 ft, so I thought I would be okay up here in Estes Park (elev. 8,400!). Nope. Dead wrong. It was icy cold, the wind was whipping and I seriously thought I was having a heart attack. I kept asking my husband, who is much more acquainted with the effects of altitude running, if he was sure my chest was supposed to hurt this much. "Really, it feels like a knife is protruding out of my chest while simultaneously I can't breath?". "Yes (chuckle, chuckle)." All righty then.

I was able to complete right at 3 miles. I think I asked the hubs to check his Garmin every few minutes to see if we'd reached 3 miles. Thank goodness for technology, haha. I won't be running at this altitude with any regularity, but I am really glad I did it!

No comments: