Monday, April 13, 2015

False Start

So the New Years Day run was, predictably, a false start. My back was just not ready for running, even half a mile. I have continued PT for my back and have seen significant improvement. I am not back to 100%, but with the emergence of Spring I am feeling the itch to get running (slowly!). 

My kids were on Spring  break last week, and before that my mom was in town for a couple of weeks helping me out, so I have had a lot of good rest time for my back. I have also been doing my prescribed stretches, which helps enormously.

Living Uptown for a year now, I indescribably LOATHE hauling my kids in and out the subway. It is the WORST. It's been a long Winter of bumping the stroller up and down the stairs, and commuting an average of 4 hours per school day from Uptown. Enough is enough. With the Spring weather and my back improving, I decided after Spring break that I would be doing a whole lot more of my commuting by foot. Sadly, because MTA is so unreliable, I only have to leave our apartment 10-20 min earlier than if I take the subway or bus. 

Today, I did take the subway down for my older son's drop off, but I walked up to my younger son's school drop off, then walked down and back to a dentist appointment. After taking a quick ride home, I walked 2.5 miles (with about a mile job in there) back for school pick up, then walked up to the Columbia campus to play with the kiddos. I walked 9 miles today, including the 1 mile run! My back held out and I felt great to have accomplished some much needed exercise, 16 months after my initial injury!  

No comments: