Friday, July 29, 2011

Run for Central Park: Simulation

Since I missed my race a couple of weeks ago due to the kidney stones (which btw have not passed but are not hurting me anymore), I decided at some point I wanted to run the race course anyway...I won't get credit for running the race in terms of the 9+1 requirement, BUT I will get to count it towards my races run during the pregnancy. In fact, I even saved my race bib.

So, at 6am this morning I decided I felt good and I needed to get this race complete. So my husband  loaded up my son and strapped on his garmin for me, I pinned on my race bib, and we headed out to the park. Now. I have not run 4 miles since I ran the 10k back in June. In fact, I don't think I've run more than 3 miles since then. Between the traveling, the heat, and then being sick I just have not. I was nervous about completing this race. 

From the start I was hurting. I have been surprised at how uncomfortable it is to run being pregnant this time around. I am only 5 months pregnant now, but I found it much more difficult to run today than I remember it being when I ran with my first pregnancy. Everyone tried to tell me if would be harder to run throughout my second pregnancy (even though I ran the entire 9 months of my first) but I thought they were wrong. Turns out they were all right. It IS harder and more painful. Ok, welcome to the end of my thought process. The entire 4 miles was quite painful...it took me about 54  minutes to run the 4 miles (can you say glacial pace?). But I did it, I ran the entire way and finished the 4M race. 

It remains to be seen how much longer I will be able to do this. I have a 5k scheduled in August, followed by a 4M plus the Fifth Avenue Mile in September...it's going to be a long 4 months to the ultimate finish line. 

No comments: