Monday, October 11, 2010

Tempo Improv

What is a mother to do when she is training for a marathon, but needs to get her son out of the house so her herculean husband can accomplish some much needed projects around the apartment? She takes her son to the zoo amidst a quasi-tempo run, of course!

(pushing the running stroller) I warmed up for 1/2 mile, then ran all out for another 1/2  mile, then ran about 70% for the remaining 3/4 mile to the Central Park Zoo. Had a wonderful time with my son for an hour 20 minutes. I ran another 1/2 mile warm-up and accelerated to as fast as I could push my son for another 2 mile stretch, took a few minutes to catch my breath while jogging, then rounded out this frankenstein run with a fast finish for the last 1/4 mile. Total mileage = 4.5, in 42 minutes...yes this is only a 9:20 pace average, but 2 miles of the run where warm up pace or slightly faster (9:55'ish), so that means the tempo portions were roughly an 8:51 pace...pushing 40+ pounds mind you. My tempo pace is supposed to be an 8:30 (solo); not too shabby.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Ash:
Been trying to do some core training while my feet heal. Not much fun or workout but I have used the memory of the base of the Verz bridge as a motivator. I keep seeing myself there again. As you continue training, keep thinking about being in the worlds geatest race and crossing that mat in Central Park. It will be worth it come that fall Sunday afternoon. Hang in there.

Love YA

Dad

Ashley said...

Thanks for the motivating vision! I am counting the days... :)