Saturday, January 15, 2011

Earning It

This cold weather is starting to wear on me, partially because I typically don't run this frequently Jan-Mar. My season usually ends in December, then I take it easy for a few months before picking back up in late march...but since I took off 6 weeks post marathon, I am more inclined to start running now. 

I am more motivated to run today than I was yesterday, but my motivation only equates to about a 3 mile run. I am not feeling the 7 miler I had planned. I know I need the mileage, I know I will regret is come Sunday if I only run 3. As I am getting ready to head out the door (after my husband comes in from his 10 miler, mind you) we are discussing dinner plans. We settle on brinner (breakfast for dinner)...apple pancakes. I know I have to earn those, between the carbalicious cakes and the sugary maple syrup. I. can. do. it.

I head out the door and immediately start running to kick start my run...I'm already salivating over the pancakes. It's snowing and very cold, not mention there is an atypical running crowd for this time/day/weather (i.e. very crowded). I decide to run the 5 mile loop around the park and hope that I'll have enough will power to tack on another 2 at the end.

To my surprise, it feels good. Comfortable even. After completing the first loop, my legs feel no fatigue. I am surprised considering I barely eked out 5.2 miles last Saturday. Just one additional week of running has really made me feel stronger. I start to see glimpses of my marathon fitness. I am totally doing 2 more miles.

I decided to head off the main road and finish my last 2 miles in the snow, which was beautiful but more challenging than I anticipated. The snow has hardened on the bridle path and there are these narrow packed tracks that us runners are jockeying for. Tricky. But hey, I figure I am getting a core workout as the uneven ground threatens to knock me off kilter. I round out my run for an even 7. For pancakes!

No comments: