Monday, September 20, 2010

First Tempo

Last week I was supposed to start integrating tempo runs into my training, but since I was forced to take several days off, I missed my first tempo workout...so I decided to run it today instead. I was scheduled to run 800 repeats today, but upon further consideration figured a tempo run would provide greater returns than an interval workout. I will run an interval workout next week.

So I needed to run an 8 mile tempo run with 6 miles at tempo pace (8:30/mi), flanked by (2) 1 mile cool down/warm up. I didn't have time for the full 8 due to family time constraints, so I opted to run a 6 mile tempo with a 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down. I started running South in the Park for what ended up being a 1.1 mile warm up at just under a 10 min pace then accelerated to my tempo pace and tried to hold it for the duration of the first loop. I came through the 5.2 mile mark at 44:40 (4.1 miles at tempo pace and 34:40 time... this is an 8:27 pace. Perfect). I finished up with a 1.5 mi cool down. Total time for 6.7 miles was 58:19.

Sidenote: My time for the tempo portion is a PR for 4 miles. My fastest 4 mi race was a 8:39 pace (this past July)...Pay Dirt!

No comments: