Thankfully this blog title describes my shoes for today's long run and not my legs. I was scheduled to run 14, a distance that at this point in my training is not daunting. I had neglected to remember that after last week's 16 miler I told myself I needed to break in my new Asics for today's long run. Ooops. I remembered this around mile 9 when all of my joints started aching...I knew this feeling and I knew it was not from mileage but from pounding on worn out shoes (around 500 miles).
I already was kind of winding around the park because there was a charity run/walk being held there today, so when it was evident that I needed to cut the run short to spare my legs, I took note of my time at various points around the park and then mapped it out when I got home to see exactly how far I had managed to run and at what pace. This is what I determined (building cumulative):
5.5 miles - 51:59 (masses better than last week at a 9:27 pace)
9.8 miles - 1:34:00 (9:35 pace)
11.6 miles - 1:51:59 (9:39 pace)
13.3 miles - 2:08:36 (9:40 pace)
Clearly I slowed as my shoes caused added stress, but I am really encouraged by my overall pace (9:40). I was scheduled to run a 9:58 pace and despite the aches/pains the 9:40 felt good. Overall I am pleased with today's run...now I have to gear up for my 18 miler next week. Bring it.
No comments:
Post a Comment