Sunday, September 5, 2010

Unscheduled Off Day

After yesterday's run, I was scheduled to run 5 miles easy today to round out my week with 38 miles. I feel like I am increasing my mileage before my body can adjust to the new stresses each week. My training schedule follows the logic, in part, of increasing each week for 3 consecutive weeks, then decreasing for a "down" week (recovery).

I've been having an ongoing conversation with my husband (the sub-elite runner, remember) about this and he mentioned the method that Jack Daniels, PhD suggests in which you don't introduce a new stress until your body acclimates to your current level. In this case, instead of upping your mileage every week by, say, 10%, you keep the same weekly mileage for a few weeks, until your body adjusts, then up all of your daily runs the next week such that the sum is greater than a 10% increase but your body is ready for that next jump. So on and so forth.

I think I am going ti implement this logic, which means instead of running today I am taking a day off. My weekly mileage sits at 33. Last week it was 33. Next week it will be 32. The week after that it jumps back up if I complete all of the scheduled runs. Hopefully my body will have adjusted at this level to enable me to increase appropriately.  

No comments: