Saturday, September 4, 2010

Good, Not Great

This week's long run was masses better than last week's, but it was still quite tough. I got up early and was out the door by 6:50am, knowing that it was going to take me over 2 1/2 hours to complete 16 miles. I was feeling optimistic, but tired. My first lap around the park I just felt like my legs were so tired that they were pretending to still be nestled under the covers sleeping. Finally, around 5 miles, I started to loosen up and was able to pick up the pace. I came through my first 5.2 in 53 flat, a sorry 10:12 pace.

As I started on my second loop, I was conscience of the fact that I needed to run a negative split for the next 5.2 miles. I made that my focus. Happily, my husband pulled up beside me with my son in his bike seat around mile 7 and rode alongside until I completed the second loop. What a treat. I came through mile 10.4 at 1:44:35, which means I was able to significantly pick up the pace and manage a 9:54.

Less than 6 to go. I was already feeling it,  but again it was not as bad as last week. My legs were aching, but I felt like I could push through and hold my pace to complete the run. With 2 miles left, I bonked and wanted to quit. Take the short cut home...but I didn't. I finished the 16 miles in 2:38.34, a 9:54 pace. Good.

What I am curioius to see is how long it takes me to recover. Last week it took 6 days until I felt fully recovered, which is unacceptable to me. My hope is that this week, even though the run was tough, I will recover more quickly. I really am anxious to start seeing gains in my fitness.

No comments: